Monday, August 29, 2011
BLUEBERRY OATMEAL BARS
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 2/3 cup frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice (1/2 teaspoon lemon powder plus 2 teaspoon water)
Cream Cheese Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
2. Prepare crust: In a mixing bowl, stir together add oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Add melted butter and stir together til crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping. Place remaining mixture firmly in the bottom of a parchment or foil-lined pan. Place pan in oven for appromimately 12 minutes, until crust sets.
3. Meanwhile prepare blueberry filling: In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon powder & water. Stirring until mixture begins to thicken slightly & juices of blueberries have combined with the cornstarch (maybe 5 mins). Remove from heat & set aside.
4. Prepare Cream Cheese Filling: In bowl, add cream cheese, sugar, egg, almond, salt and beat til incorporated. Pour cream cheese filling over baked crust, then add blueberry mixture on top of cream cheese then top with remaining crumb mixture.
5. Place it the over for 30 minutes until top is browned and filling is bubbly. Allow this to cool completely. Once cool, place in fridge for about an hour to let it completely set up for serving. Lift it out of the pan by the ends of the parchment paper & place it on a cutting board. Depending on how you cut these, it makes up to 16 bars. Best if served at room temperature if you can wait that long, we didn't make it so I am here to say it's amazing even if they are straight out of the fridge. ENJOY!!!