Thursday, June 2, 2011
BUTTER PECAN BARS
For the Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
For the Filling:
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups chopped pecans
For the Topping:
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment or wax paper and set aside.
2. Prepare the crust. In a bowl combine flour, 1 cup light brown sugar, cinnamon and ½ cup unsalted butter. If you do not have a food processor, use a pastry cutter to incorporate the butter into the flour mixture. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake crust in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until slightly browned.
3. Prepare the filling. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the 2/3 cup butter, 1/2 cup light brown sugar and salt. Cook and stir until mixture begins to boil. Boil gently for 1 minute. Remove filling from heat, stir in vanilla extract. Sprinkle pecans over partially baked crust. Pour filling over pecans.
4. Bake bars for 15 minutes or until golden brown. do not over bake. Transfer baking pan to a wire rack.
5. Immediately sprinkle bars with chocolate chips. Allow chocolate to melt on top of the bars for about 5 minutes, then spread the melted chocolate over the pecan layer using an offset spatula. Loosen edges and cut into bars while warm.