Wednesday, December 30, 2009

COCONUT BREAD

I was introduced to this wonderful bread by a friend, Cheryl who is a fabulous cook. We use to exchange recipes all the time when our kids were little and we were neighbors. Since we have moved away from each other and all of our kids have grown  I hadn't talked to her for a couple of years. A few weeks ago I was going through an old cook book and found this recipe. I was ecstatic. I made this bread every year at Christmas and New Years but had lost the recipe ( so I thought) and have not made it for several years. If you like the flavor of coconut and butter you will love this bread. It is very very moist and full of flavor.

INGREDIENTS
makes 2 loaves or 4 small

Beat together:
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 square soft butter

Mix in:
2 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coconut extract
Mix with beaters til smooth

Fold in:
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts ( I prefer pecans)

Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Test with sticking a tooth pick in the center of loaf. If it comes out clean it is done.
Leave bread in the pans

Topping:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 Tlb butter
Bring to boil then simmer 5 min. Add 1 teaspoon coconut extract.
Pour mixture over each loaf slowly to allow it to soak in. Leave in the pans for 1 hour then remove. This bread can be frozen and still taste wonderful months later.

No comments:

Post a Comment



IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE
PLEASE SIGN IN AS A FOLLOWER. ANY RECIPES YOU WANT TO SHARE WITH ME I WOULD LOVE TO POST THEM HERE.Just e-mail me @ debbiegmama@comcast.net